Food processor has achieved an indispensable position in a modern kitchen because of it versatility and ease of use. Tasks like chopping vegetables, shredding cheese, and kneading dough have never been this easy! It’s hard to think of tasks that a good quality multi functional food processor cannot perform. Did you know you can even make fresh pasta dough in your food processor in some very simple steps? No need to buy pasta from the store when you can make cheaper, healthier, tastier pasta right in your kitchen! Here’s how:
- All purpose flour 2 cups plus additional for kneading
- Salt ½ tsp
- Eggs 3
- Water 1 tsp (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
Makes enough for 4 to 6 servings
- Transfer 2 cups flour and salt to the food processor bowl, secure the lid and pulse it to combine everything.
- With the machine running, add one egg at a time to blend them with the dry ingredients.
- Add olive oil to the mixture and process it until it starts to come together into a ball like structure. If it doesn’t come together you can add a little water and process till it forms a ball.
- If your dough is too sticky, add a little dry flour and process again to get the right consistency.
- Dust your kitchen counter with flour and transfer the dough from the bowl to the counter. Knead the dough with your hands until the dough ball becomes smooth and elastic. This process will take around 5 to 10 minutes.
- When done, dust the dough with a bit of flour and transfer it to a bowl. Cover it with a plastic wrap and leave it to rest at room temperature for around half an hour.
- Now the dough is ready to be cut into pasta strips.
- Divide the dough into 6 to 8 pieces and spread them out into rectangular pieces.
- Set the rollers of the pasta machine on its widest setting. Lightly flour both sides of the dough rectangles to prevent it from sticking to the pasta machine. Pass the pieces out through the rollers of the machine. Keep rolling the dough, decreasing the opening of the rollers each time. Continue till you get thin strips.
- Spread the strips out on a lightly floured surface and dust them with flour. Fold them in hales and dust them again. Repeat the process till you have achieved a size you can easily cut with a knife. Cut the dough into thin strips using a knife or pizza cutter.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water with salt for 3 to 5 minutes. Avoid over cooking or your pasta will be sticky. Drain the water and use your fresh homemade pasta in any pasta recipe you like.